On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Monday, March 09, 2009

Surgery went just fine

I feel great. When I see the surgeon on the 18th, she'll let me know if I need yet another surgery...or not. I am hoping NOT!
*****************************************************************************
There's an upcoming author presentation at Ferrum College that I've signed up to attend. Every year, Ferrum has a one-day women's leadership conference, at no cost, and they even feed you a very nice lunch without cost. One year, we were fortunate enough to sit with a reporter from the Roanoke Times who was very informative. This year, the conference is being held beginning at 8:30 am on Tuesday, 24 March 09.

The following text is taken from Ferrum's brochure:

This year, the main attraction is the 7 pm keynote address by Deborah Rodriguez, author of Kabul Beauty School. Rodriguez has been a hairdresser since 1979. In 2002, soon after the fall of the Taliban, she went to Afghanistan with a degree in cosmetology and a desire to help. There she helped found Kabul Beauty School and spent five years teaching at and later direction the school. While there she learned of life behind the burka, and, in her best-selling book, she introduces us to an amazing community of women struggling for autonomy in the midst of a strict society and shows us that across cultures we have much in common.

After Rodriguez speaks, there will be a reception and book signing at 8 pm.

Again, there is no cost for this conference or for the reception. Copies of her book will be available for purchase and signing. If you are interested in attending, e-mail Ferrum at: http://www.ferrum.edu/wlc

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home