On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Happy to be Home Again!

Those folks who travel constantly, who spend summers or winters away, seem to like that lifestyle, but it just is not for me. I am so darned happy to be home in Virginia again. Our state policeman neighbor kept an eagle eye on our place for us, and the only damage we 'suffered' was from someone's dog trying to get in our front door. The door was full of muddy footprints and the rubberized strip was torn by his paws.

Yep, we think it was our castle-owner neighbor's dog. She is a veterinarian who leaves her four kids in charge and believes her dogs should run loose. At least it wasn't a burglar.

Amazingly, my rhubarb survived the drought down here, so I expect to have pie plant growing well next spring. And the rain just before we returned greened up the lawn and brought the Blackwater River up from a mud puddle.

Today, Saturday, we're getting much-needed rain. Tomorrow we get to meet our new pastor; I've heard he is very energetic and preaches a good sermon. Praise Choir practice starts up again tomorrow. I DO like my routine!

Our 24-hour drive back was fine, although it now seems most I-95 and 81 eating places are dominated by the fast food folks. We drove back in the midst of "return to college" traffic, noticing that young men traveled in small cars they had packed as if they were suitcases...you could see pillows, pajamas, sheets, clothing...all pressed tightly up to the windows! I guess their buddies must help them unload their cars, piling everything on the dorm floors. Returning young women, however, were pretty much driven by their dads, and had those compact capsules on top of the vehicle, rather than bungee-corded cheap blue tarps that flapped in the wind.

We saw a sleeping bag on the highway, then a bit further on, a blue tee-shirt, then...a mattress! Poor guy must have ended up sleeping on the dorm floor. There were several pick-ups carrying small loveseats/couches. Have dorm rooms gotten bigger?

Well, we're home, and it is wonderful to be back into our comfortable one-level space. Returning over Labor Day weekend meant this week was bereft of meetings, chancel choir practice, bible study, and other church events. That gave us a week to re-stock the cupboards and fridge! How funny to reach for a jar of pickles or eggs to scramble, and nothing's there. We made almost daily runs to Kroger's. I'll bet THEY are glad to see us return!

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Welcome back Marion. I'm so glad you returned safe and sound!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Welcome back! Being a homebody myself, I completely understand your feelings. There's no place like home....

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home