On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Friday, July 11, 2008

Up in Maine now

Trying to get comfortable with hubby's laptop keyboard. It's HOT up here, and humid, and buggy! Dick has been working day and night tearing out the floor under daughter Cathie's downstairs bathroom, and now installing a new molded shower stall, flush, sink.

During this time, we've been without water periodically, sometimes for hours at a time. Fortunately, Cathie's new friend Jason is as hard a worker as Dick, so the two of them have been putting in many, many hours. Both know how to plumb, build, work with electrical, etc. When you live in rural Maine, you can't just pick up a phone and call someone to fix your well or whatever. You learn early on how to do this kind of work.

We did have a nice family get-together on the 5th of July, and the next day, we scarfed down some huge lobsters and tons of steamed clams brought up to us by Dick's sister Debra and her husband. More melted buttah than you can believe, but wasn't it grand.

G.G.daughter Chloe Nightingale came by with her Mom and her G.Mom for a little visit. What a doll she is! Yes, I got pix. No, I haven't downloaded them yet as I'm still learning about this laptop and Dick is busy tonight, mudding (?) the walls in the bathroom prior to painting them. Cathie's learning to cook gluten-free...she made muffins this morning and baked a loaf of bread this afternoon, since a bit of rain finally brought temps down enough to use the stove. Tonight: GF pizza crust as grandaughter Anna is home from local college Upward Bound program & her friend Anthony loves pizza, too.

Me? Well, I wanted clam chowdah but got outvoted by the teens.

More later. Glad I finally got into my Blog; had a problem at first. My e-mail is coming in fine, although mixed in with Dick's Web e-mail. AND our snail mail? Well, we finally got mail TODAY, a good 16 days after arriving here. Doncha just love the USPS?

5 Comments:

Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Yay! You're finally blogging again. Your faithful readers have been suffering from "On the Blackwater" withdrawal. Sounds like you're having a good time.

It's been monsoon season in Franklin County—an excellent time to be away.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Wow, Dick is nice putting that bathroom in! Your daughter is very lucky! Well, she's making him gluten-free food. You're all very nice to each other. That's what good families are all about.

I know what you mean about not being able to get services. I was shocked by that when we first moved out of NJ to OK and then to here. What? You can't just pick up the phone and call someone?

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

9:55 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I've missed your regular blogs. I'm so glad to see you back online.

btw: LOVE the Maine accent!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Miss Marion we miss you! I just told Becky how much I miss reading your blog. I'm so glad you didn't give up on the laptop! I'm jealous of all that wonderful food you're eating. Lobster...yum!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

Have some chowdah for me!
My Maine brother just left Sunday; when he came on the 21st of June, he had a 'coolah fulla lobstahs'...would love some fish chowdah,or lobstah stew...
Have fun!
Claudia

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home