On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Book Review

Yes, I've actually had time to read. We've had steady pouring rain day after day, so I visited the bookstore and got Empire Falls by Richard Russo. You may have seen the 2-part cable movie, with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, but this book is SO much more, and one of those books full of humor and comments on relationships, families, secrets...plus being about small town Maine...that you hate to see it end.

Russo won the Pulitzer for this book, and it is just a wonderful read. In fact, it spoiled other authors' work for me as I pick up a book and then put it down, saying ARGHHH! It isn't Russo!

He has a new novel coming out this week (I believe it is called Bridge of Sighs) so I intend to pick that up on my next trek to B. Dalton's. BTW: it looks as if the independent bookstore that wanted me to read and sign has CLOSED! Timing is everything, I guess.

Ah well, we can't all be Richard Russo, can we? Empire Falls is out in paperback and probably is at the library, so go for it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

My mother has been telling me for a year or more to read "Empire Falls." Now, I'm gonna have to read it if you like it.

Speaking of my parents, they are in the Adirondacks of NY and complaining about the rainy, cold weather. Too bad.

We miss you by the way...

9:28 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

I'm sorry you didn't get to read, but glad you found time to read yourself! As for the rain, send some down here.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

That sounds nice. Hanging around and just reading because it's raining.

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home