On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Being Dead is No Excuse:

The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral by Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays.

Friend Becky and I drove to the 419 Roanoke Library to hear Charlotte Hays read from her book, which is just hilarious. Hays lives in DC, and her co-author lives in Mississippi, which is Hays' former home.

Sitting at the head table with her was Jessica Bemis Ward, author of Food to Die For: A Book of Funeral Food, Tips and Tales. Ward lives in Lynchburg and wrote her book about a recently-restored cemetery in Lynchburg. Earlier that day, Jessica Ward gave Charlotte Hays a tour of the cemetery, which Charlotte said she found delightful.

Listening to the two of them banter back and forth gave us plenty to laugh about. Hays' book, Being Dead is No Excuse, is replete with many recipes. When asked whether any of the recipe contributors had any problems with their recipes being featured, she said only those whose recipes were NOT used were upset!

Ward's book, featuring scenes from the cemetery viewed through church-like windows, had many recipes included as well.

Since I'm only just beginning my book, My Church is Making Me Fat...(with recipes) I very much enjoyed learning from their examples. This appears to be a whole new genre!

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky Mushko said...

I'm 2/3 of the way through Being Dead is No Excuse. What a hoot!

And that was a fun trip to Roanoke, wasn't it? Even if we did miss the tornado that struck about a mile from where we were.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Wish I could have gone... lucky!!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Both of those books sound hilarious. Heck, just the titles alone are hilarious, as is the title of the book you're working on, Marion. Please do let us know when it comes out--I do love a book that combines humor and food!

Beth

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home