On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Postcard from Maine

Hi, Amys...yeah, I miss everyone too. This is so strange, living in a huge old crumbling down farmhouse with two teens, my suddenly-fallen-in-love daughter, her fellow, and my husband, who had planned to spend his time flyfishing but the pouring rain just will not let up.

Wish we could send it down to you; I'll bet our lawn is nice and brown by now. Plus I finally got a rhubarb plant to grow at home, so that poor baby must be gone. I plan to bring one home from my daughter's huge bed of pie plants.

The dogs are doing fine; Sadie Mae had to get used to all the stairs, which scared her at first. She missed a step going up and rolled all the way down but didn't hurt anything but her pride. The Labs are both staying outdoors. My daughter's black Lab has cancer but doesn't show a sign of being slowed down, and he is such a sweet dog that she can't part with him at this point. AND she has 5 cats! Sadie Mae never encountered a cat before, so this has been interesting indeed. Watch the cat chase the dog!!

Meanwhile, I am reading lots and somehow have become the resident cook, so I went out and bought a large crockpot. Tonight, we had potato soup and toasted cheese sandwiches. Real gourmet stuff, right? I made a meatloaf the other night (in the oven) and the 2 Maine guys went bananas over it. I thought they might fight over the last piece, and I had none left for my fave, which is the cold meatloaf sandwich the next day!

If this cold rain ever stops, we'll get back to grilling, and I can turn that over to the guys, right?

Dick's family reunion is coming up this next weekend, but it is all the way down towards Orland, so long drive there, long drive back, then we cover the same ground at the end of the month. I wanted to just keep driving south, but he's determined...we'll see! My grandson Jessie and his fiancee' Jessica are due up here on the 17th, so at least I'll be able to visit with them.

And she and Cathie can take over some of the cooking chores.

Cathie & Anna & I are going to see Mama Mia on Monday, the day before Anna heads back to school and her BF starts a new job.

Well, enjoy the rain I'm sending to you. It comes complete with resident mosquitoes...

3 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

How long is it going to take?

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

4:59 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Yes—send rain! Send lots of rain! Everything here is brown and crispy. Rocky Mount is on the verge of going toward mandatory water conservation.

If you can't send rain, bring some home with you.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

I'll take the rain, but I'll let you keep the mosquitoes! You'll have to come back home to take a break from all that cookin'. Everyone misses ya!

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home