On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Monday, September 03, 2007

Walking in Jefferson's Footsteps

We packed a snack picnic and headed out to Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest retreat near Bedford. Driving about an hour from Rocky Mount, we got there shortly before the next 40-minute guided tour of his famous octagonal second home.

It seems his wife had inherited the acreage when her father passed on, and Jefferson at that time was overwhelmed with drop-in visitors, strangers often, who thought nothing of approaching Monticello at any hour of the day or night, tapping on windows, knocking on doors, expecting to be invited in.

So this acreage, a three-day journey from DC by stagecoach (2 days by horseback) was the answer to his prayers; he could design the retreat HE wanted, and achieve the peace and quiet, the solitude, he so desired.

We had a wonderful time; our guide was extremely knowledgeable and very charming indeed. I'd add more, but I'm planning to write this visit up for Prime Living, so I need to get all my notes together first for that effort.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I want to go there too! Thomas Jefferson was one of my favorite presidents. Someone from the Monticello Winery came to Roanoke and gave a wine tasting for the cheffies from local Country Clubs. Of course I was there and although he had a very thick Italian accent, I enjoyed every minute!

Thanks for the mental vacation!

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home