On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Friday, August 24, 2007

Lake Writers & Lunch

We had an excellent Lake Writers meeting today at the Moneta Library. Sixteen folks showed up, a record for one meeting. Lots of us read; I read the 2nd half of my play, Summer at the Lake, and everyone seemed to like it fine. There were a few suggestions, minor changes, that I may (or may not) incorporate.

Fortunately, Leslie was there; she runs the playreading group, which meets this Sunday and will read a Neil Simon play I'd suggested some time ago, called: I Ought to be in Pictures. I watched the movie one night, with Walter Matthau and two female actors. Walter hasn't seen his daughter in 20 years and had told her he'd gone off to Hollywood to be a famous screenwriter. He's not made a success of his life at all, and the daughter shows up to get him to help her get a job in movies. The dialogue is hilarious and Matthau was terrific in the part of the failed writer.

Leslie is very interested in my play (even hearing only the last half) so I'll have to clean it up & print out a copy for her and for my friend Peggy, who used to run the group. It's great to have a group all set up to read the play; we often have 50-75 folks to a reading.

The lake, BTW, is NOT Smith Mountain Lake. It's a small lake in northern Maine. But I figure everyone has the 'drop in' visitor who doesn't leave right away. (My Mom always said fish & company start to stink in 3 days.)

Maybe she said 'smell.'

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Fish and company start to stink in three days--I have to remember that one!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Your play sounds as it will rise to success very quickly! I am not surprised. I hope to see it on stage one day. I will be sitting in the front row!

2:42 PM  
Blogger colleen said...

Check out "An Unfinished Life" with Robert Redford and Morgan Freeman. It's about death, grief, forgiveness, and nature. And the dear relationship between the two old cowboys more satisfying to watch than the movie about the gay cowboys that didn't have much of a plot.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home