On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Church was nearly empty this morning...

Labor Day being the last long weekend before school begins (usually) those of us in the choir looked out on about half a congregation. We do have several in the hospital, but they are doing well and should return home soon.

Our Celebration Sunday (sheet cake, punch, coffee) is usually held the first Sunday of every month, when we celebrate anniversaries and birthdays in the month, but today we'd postponed the event until next Sunday. Sure am glad we did that; we need a full church to eat all the goodies! We'll be decorating to honor teachers as well; we have many teachers at our church, and want to let them know how we feel about the difficult job they have taken on.

Amy, my plan is to make two of those schoolbus cakes, and a batch of gluten-free chocolate cupcakes as well. Then we'll scatter the table with crayons, pencils, rulers, etc. Our preschool director will get to take the decorations downstairs with her, to use as her classes begin.
***********************************************************************************************
This morning, on Good Morning America's weekend version, they introduced a new cartoon character after my own heart! It seems Scholastic.com, who publish the magazine used in schools as a teaching aid, have come up with a 9th grade little girl character who, once she puts on her red cape, gains super powers as....Word Girl!

She'll be working with kids on their grammar, punctuation, spelling...you name it. I'm not sure if she'll be on the cartoon channel or at the Scholastic Web site, but I am delighted. Her sponsors said they felt it was time to work with something positive, something that will help youngsters as they progress through school and go on to careers.

I couldn't find the details on the GMA site, but found Word Girl on Scholastic.com after a search on that site.

As someone who shudders everytime she hears: He's got, she's got, you've got (mail, for instance) when it should be: He has, she has, you have....

It seems every advertiser has sunk down to the muddy level of using very poor grammar...let's hope Word Girl gets on their case.

4 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Oh I love it! I will have to go to Scholasic's website and find her. What a terrific idea, and yes, kids pick up all sorts of bad grammar. Ben is old enough now to roll his eyes when I correct him!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I am so glad one of my blogs was helpful! The no baking idea is my favorite. You can save your energy for the most important part.

I keep my eyes out for WORDGIRL!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Pathfinder said...

Ah. a "Word Girl" out there does my heart good! Having taught English Composition at the college level to adults this summer, I know they sure could use Word Girl's help. Can't wait to meet her!

Hmmm, those school bus cakes sure sound neat!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Marion said...

Let's see if I can post the link Amy gave me for the schoolbus no-bake cake..
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50194

Well, that almost worked, didn't it? I know there's a way to post links...just have to find that page!

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home