On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, September 01, 2007

RAIN! We got a gully-washer last night

Woke up around midnight to a downpour that went on for about two hours. Hubby ran around closing the sunroom windows (we'd long ceased closing them up for 50%, 60% chance of rain that never did show up). Then, of course, the rain began washing out our Not State Maintained gravel road, Grahams Drive, leaving ruts and gaps...

Just now, Dick took his ATV down the gravel road he just put in on our land, that goes to our meadow and then to the Blackwater River. He was NOT a happy camper upon his return, as those two hours of rain managed to un-do a lot of his hard work.

I think I'll fix one of his fave meals tonight, called a goulash by my family, and American Chop Suey by the folks in northern Maine where he was raised. Basically, I take a large nonstick deep frypan, saute' some chopped Vidalia (sweet) onion, add a pound of very lean ground beef, then a large jar of Prego chunky tomato sauce. Meanwhile, I've been boiling up some penne' or macaroni or whatever I have (gluten-free) and I drain that & dump it in. Oh, sometimes I add fresh mushrooms. Hubby doesn't care for them, so tonight I'll leave them out.

After the flavors meld together, oh, maybe 20 minutes, I sprinkle some grated mozzarella cheese and put a top on the pan so it can melt and get all gooey. I make a lot for the two of us, 'cause this is a dish that nukes up nicely.

A nice glass of red wine, a Romaine salad, and he should mellow right out...

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Well I am glad to not be the only one with a black cloud over my house last night!

I can hear you typing very softly during this blog - so as to not upset the hubby!

Enjoy the good meal, red wine, and green grass!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Now that's a recipe for some peace and quiet...I need that over here at my house. My kids are still wild from the back to school week we've had this week. I fell asleep last night to the sounds of thunder. What is it about rain that induces sleep?

5:49 PM  
Blogger Heather Brush said...

Ah yes, goulash! Vermonters love that dish too and call it the same. An old standby that brings comfort, like mac n cheese.

Sounds good and I hope dear hubby was able to relax a bit. Rain happens, dirt shifts, and progress always gets back on track.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home