On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Thursday, August 23, 2007

STILL no rain to speak of~

Thunder and lightning tempt us like Salome' but dance away from us despite promises. This morning I took the dogs out into a misty foggy drizzle. It soon disappeared.

I'm sad tonight, not from the lack of rain, but from Fred First's blog, FragmentsFromFloyd. I just cannot believe that the coal companies were able to get their mountaintop removal legislation all but voted through. They'll have the authority to dump what they call overburden into Appalachian streams and valleys, disguising it as a way to be less reliant on foreign oil.

Some years back, my son Michael worked on an oil rig one summer off the Louisiana coast. He said they'd strike oil, then cap it. Strike oil, then cap it. When he asked why, he was told it was being reserved so the price could go higher.

So now we'll allow the destruction of our mountains, valleys and streams so one person can drive in a 4-person vehicle to and from work or church or the grocery store. How does this make any sense at all?

I was raised to dry clothes on the clothesline, to make something from scratch if possible, to fix, repair, duct tape, mend. My children and their children have pretty much followed in those frugal footsteps. My daughter's kitchen garden is a blessing to her, a joy, as mine always was.

Is my ultimate legacy to my grandchildren going to be a destroyed natural environment?

Yes, I am saddened by this...

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Oh Marion, that is so sad. I didn't know that. I always wondered if there were kinks in the system. We live in a greedy world, don't we?

12:17 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Marion, I have following Fred's blog too. It is really sad. I knew there was oil reserved in America, but it was always said that they were using this when other areas were depleted. I think technology that is already out there, needs to become the norm and not the exception. I have a mini-van because I cannot afford I new vehicle right now. I plan on buying a hybrid sedan when I buy again. The prices are getting better every year AND you get a tax break. With all of the driving I do, I need to feel better about emissions AND my pocket book.

Thought provoking post - thanks!

7:52 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

It's sad. The greedy people who run this country are ruining not only the country, but the earth. I don't have any faith that it'll ever get better unless we have campaign finance reform. Get rid of the legalized bribery and then maybe what the people want will count. But the ones who are getting the money are the ones who are making the laws...

11:22 PM  
Blogger colleen said...

On top of that, I saw the 60 Minutes spot on how fast the icebergs are melting. I haven't been able to stop thinking about them. I just don't know if or when the powers that be will "get it."

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home