On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Victory Gardens

I must mention that I was contemplating writing this BEFORE I saw today's Roanoke Times carrying an AP story about city people planting kitchen gardens in their front yards & drawing criticism from neighbors.

Back during WWII, everyone was encouraged to grow a Victory Garden, either in their back yards or in a neighborhood plot. My grandmother had a wonderful little garden, as did we. It was always a special treat to eat an entire meal from our own garden.

Living in CA, raising three kids, I have great memories of days out in the garden. One time, our next door neighbors had their church friends over for a picnic and both my sons invited their pastor to our yard to see pickling cukes growing on the vine. It seemed he had no idea there even was such a thing as a pickling cuke!

Growing up as they did, it's no wonder at all that they, too, grew gardens with great pleasure. Digging new potatoes out of a mound of dirt is nothing short of a miracle. Now that we worry so much about imported food and pesticides, it seems natural to me that we go back to raising our own veggies whenever possible. Mostly, now, I depend on my farmer neighbors' largess and also shop at the Farmers' Market in town, or the Beckner's farm on 122.

Today, since the weather finally has turned a bit cool, I snapped green beans and cooked up a large pot with onions and (gasp!) salt pork. I'll add some new potatoes to the pot for supper. Lunch was a crisp sliced pickling cuke, sliced homegrown tomato, and a small dish of the cooked beans.

Meat? Well, I do have a lovely piece of leftover grilled salmon, but I also have some corn on the cob. Life is good!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I received fresh veggies from a friend of mine yesterday and plan on salad for dinner - yum...

I LOVE green beans with carmelized onions. My favorite way to do them is to cook small pieces of bacon in a pan, add the onions when the bacon is almost done. Carmelize the onions then add boiled green beans. Toss to coat beans with grease for about a minute. Serve - it's greasy, but its good.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

My parents, my dad in particular, loved planting a HUGE garden. The problem was, he made my sisters and I weed it - and I have AWFUL allergies. To this day, I can't walk in a garden without sneezing. Now, my neighbor plants a HUGE garden. The difference is he brings me fresh veggies to my door! I love being a grown up!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home