On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, July 22, 2007

A Day of Firsts for Sadie Mae

Dick took Sadie Mae down to the river on his ATV, and she decided to go for a SWIM! The river was very shallow, but of course the water lifted her little feet up off the bottom, and he said her eyes opened wide and she swam. Dog Paddle, of course. He was all ready to jump in if she needed help but she immediately swam to shore and then shook herself all over him. OK, Yorkie terrier mixed with Bichon Frise'...who knew? Fortunately, the river is too far from our house for her to wander down there alone.

Another first: we took her to a church picnic tonight at Mary Elizabeth Park. She's been needing some socialization, being around just us two all the time. Of course, the children were SO excited to see her & pet her. She was two months old and two pounds total the last time we had her there, so they were amazed at how she'd grown and changed. The small babies particularly loved her, chortling and kicking their heels trying to get closer to her. It's the start of Vacation Bible School, so there were plenty of children there, but they were careful and polite, asking me if it was OK to pet her (smart kids!).

How big is she now? She wasn't supposed to top 6 pounds, but I have to believe she's around 8 pounds now, and kinda long & lean with silky white chenille-type hair. Only a tiny bit of caramel coat left on top. I can't remember if I said this already, but the other morning I was fixing my coffee and heard her grr-rr-ring only to find her dragging Dick's jeans across the living room rug, pulling them by his belt. I have no idea what she was planning to do with those jeans. When she was still two pounds, I found her dragging one of his size-13 sneakers across the floor by the shoestring. Out of the corner of my eye, I just saw this huge white sneaker going by like a tugboat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I LOVED your description of the babies! So picturesque...

I ALWAYS make my kids ask first before petting any animal. Animals and children can be dangerous towards each other.

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home