On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Monday, July 16, 2007

Sadie Mae's Adventure

Dick decided Sadie Mae needed another bath, so he first clipped the mats out of her fur, and accidentally nipped her ear! Well, that tiny nip BLED & of course she shook her head....arghhh! Her golden fur was streaked. We began carefully washing her ear, muzzle, head. Dick put his styptic pencil to work to close up the nip, but it just wouldn't take. Not serious enough to take her to the Vet's, but what to do?

Then it dawned on me: I had some of that liquid bandage and sure enough, it worked like a charm.

Note to Self: Remember this if there's another small injury.

Dick took me down to the river on his ATV & we took some pics. He has to load them onto HIS computer (mine doesn't have a port) & e-mail them to me, so I can post them here. He has accomplished so much down there in the meadow. Some of the trees he took down are neatly stacked for future firewood once he builds a fireplace/BBQ down there. He still has to split the wood...reminds me of all the wood-splitting & hauling we did when we lived in Maine. Dick would go into the woods, cut & limb the trees, pile them onto a skidder & then into his truck, drive home & I'd help him unload the wood down the hill from our home. We'd rent a log splitter & go to town on that wood. Stack it back in his truck, drive up the driveway to unload it & stack it under the front deck. Periodically, we'd move so much wood into the house so we could heat with it. The theory was it took seven (brutal!) steps before you finally got heat from the wood.

And then your furniture would fall apart from the wood heat...

It was never fun moving the ice-cold wood into the basement so it could thaw out.

Nineteen years I helped with that. And you wonder why I decided to retire in the sunny south? Thermostats are my friend.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Also, you can try salt water to dip her ear into. I know it might sting a little, but it will stop the bleeding if you are out of liquid bandage. I use the salt water trick when my kids get a cut in their mouth.

Wood splitting is a job that we still have to do here. Wanna come split some wood for us? I will make risotto... lol!

Enjoy the warm weather. Today will be another hot one.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Liquid bandage is also good for chigger bites!

I enjoyed your post and am looking forward to hearing Fred First read since you have talked him up so much--you're his biggest fan maybe; hopefully not Misery-style, lol.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home