On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Friday, July 13, 2007

Anita, I hardly knew ye~

Living over 3,000 miles apart, your darling daughter married to my dear son, we never really got to know each other. Mike loved you as caring family, never as the much-parodied mother-in-law, and that was enough for me to care as well.

I remember one conversation we had, when I'd lost the diamond out of my ring while swimming at the Y and joked that I'd decided to get a larger stone with the insurance money as a starter, and a significant amount of money on top of that, to which my husband objected. I overrode the objection and you grinned, gave me a sideways look, and...since both our husbands were hunters...remarked that it was about the amount a new shotgun would cost! I knew then that we were on the same wavelength.

Always, it seemed there were other people around us, so the two of us had very little one-on-one time. When Mike was promoted to Colonel, somehow I ended up on the opposite side of that large U-shaped table. I believe you got to sit next to my ex-husband or we had the grandkids between us.

Mike stunned us when he told us about your diagnosis of Parkinson's; he and Jennifer kept us aware of the debilitating disease and the toll it was taking on you, as you went from a cane to a walker to a wheelchair and then began losing your ability to speak. I know Jennifer began taking care of you and Mike did everything possible to support her efforts, caring for the two younger boys and helping greatly with Jennifer's two older boys, moving their family to Montana after his retirement and the beginning of his new career. So much to deal with, yet they handled it.

Anita, I know you lost your brave battle last Saturday morning, ironically at 7 am on 7-7-07. Mike had prepared us, but it was still a shock. Somehow, we'd hoped a medication would be found that would reverse the disease, but it was not to be.

It's such a cliche' to say your death was a blessing, but in this case, we can only agree that you are in a better place. You can walk and talk again, smile and joke once more, and sit in the mornings with your cup of coffee which Jennifer says was a particular joy of yours. I hardly knew ye, Anita, but you are in my heart. Bless you forever.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

What a nice tribute to a woman I never knew. I felt I did when I was done reading though. Thanks for reminding us of how many lives we all touch by just being.

Thanks Marion!
Amy H
BTW: I was born on 7-7-71 so I felt a special connection...

12:44 PM  
Blogger Marion said...

Glad you had that reaction, Amy. She was wonderful to my son Mike and he will certainly miss her wise counsel.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home