On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day Musings~

I so miss my Dad on Father's Day but find joy in memories. He's been gone since 1982, just 5.5 months after I lost my Mom. We had started building our part-log house in Maine, and suddenly I was orphaned. They were retired in Florida, came to Maine for a visit, and Mother became ill while they were returning via Fairfax, VA, where she was born. She wanted to visit old friends there, but ended up hospitalized. Cancer. I flew down, my sister flew north, and we spent the last 5 weeks of mother's life with her.

Daddy, whom we had thought was so strong, just crumpled. Those few short months later, he was gone. I didn't get to Florida in time to say Goodbye, but we'd talked on the phone before he lapsed into a coma.

Now, every Father's Day, I think of that dear man. He was always in a great mood; just tap dancing around on the kitchen linoleum to the radio or to one of the many records he loved to play. Many times, Mother would be cooking at the stove and Daddy would come into the kitchen, whistling, swoop her into his arms (he was tall and handsome, 6'3, to her 5') and dance with her. Then they'd push the pans to the back of the stove and disappear upstairs, Mother giggling away. It was years before I figured it out! After all, that was the 50's.

Back to the present...hubby got back from BBS college late last night, exhausted from the 7-hour drive from Salisbury and the 4 days of classes. Since he'd been eating out all that time, I thawed a couple of steaks to grill tonight. He got to sleep in, I went on to church and I'm glad I did, as our music director's daughter Emily played her violin (after 6 mos' of lessons) during our anthem, and it was beautifully done. Emily is 12 and was adopted from China; her younger sister Katie is from Guatemala...both have thick long straight shiny black hair, and southern accents!

When you realize that these were abandoned babies...Emily was found in a cardboard box in a park...and then see their canopied beds and the greatest parents any child could wish for, it puts a whole new face on adoption. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt aren't the only people to provide loving homes to babies with no forseeable future.

OK, down from my soapbox! Five kids between hubby and me (one deceased, though) and 16 grandchildren and 1 greatgrandchild. I guess we've done our part....being a grandmother is SO much better than being a mom...you get to break all the rules, grinning the whole time.

Tomorrow (Monday) I need to work on my play. It IS coming together, so far.

Marion

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home