On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, June 09, 2007

8 Things About Me

OK, Heather, here goes.

1. I adore Paul McCartney & Beatles music, although I missed 1964 The Tribute this year in Roanoke.

2. My favorite food (that's risky) would probably be my friend Martha Ann's homemade macaroni and cheese. Heart attack on a plate. She's a widow (fellow alto in the choir) who lives alone and bakes up my fave whenever I'm sick, delivering it to my door. Oh, I'm feeling a bit faint...

3. I'm a morning person. Get up at 6:30, watch the sun rise across the river, drink my coffee, eat my oatmeal, and then watch GMA with Diane Sawyer. Old habits die hard, but I used to have to run to work before the middle of the show, and now I can watch the entire broadcast.

4. What else do I watch? Grey's Anatomy, Dancing with the Stars, Northern Exposure (on every day on HD TV!) and on Saturdays, occasionally get hooked on Food Network.

5. I call my daughter up in Maine nearly every Saturday; my son moved to Montana after retiring as an Army Colonel/helicopter pilot in CA. We chat on the phone or by e-mail; he's busy with his mother-in-law's late-stage Parkinson's...his wife is her caretaker...and their 4 boys.

6. When moving here, I did a lot of research about medical resources, closeness to the VA Center, utilities, taxes...but never did I expect so many writers/readers in one area! And such supportive, helpful people. Becky at times had to dig her heels in and drive her head into my back to get me going on my book. And then this Blog. Thanks, Becky...

7. Let's see..favorite ice cream? Well, the Creamery wins hands down, but I yearn for Rum Raisin...my Dad used to take me to a small airfield near our home to watch the planes take off and land, and he'd always buy me a cone of Rum Raisin. So that is associated with very fond memories.

8. Well, here we are. #8. I've been searching my brain for 8 things not generally known about me...when my father was dying, he asked me to try to find HIS father...he told me he was adopted at the age of 4 by the man I thought was his biological father (who died when my Dad was 11) & that his actual father had been working on the Panama Canal (in the US Army) when HE died of either malaria or yellow fever. He was immediately buried in an unmarked grave, according to my grandmother. Who kept many secrets all her life and had her other son burn a wooden trunk with everything inside it that might have answered his questions. I wasn't able to get any information for him. But I'm sure he knows now.

Marion

7.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home