On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, June 09, 2007

20,000 visitors to Smith Mountain Lake?

That estimate was from the Roanoke Times, and I thought it was impossible, but living just half a mile off Rt 122, which goes directly to SML, I think they weren't too far off. On Thursday, when the bass tournament was starting up, I ran a few short errands. Hubby went down to the Marketplace in Rocky Mount to cook hotdogs for a church fundraiser during their First Thursday event, when they have live music.

Nobody came. Well, not entirely true, but the fundraiser was a bust and the Chamber of Commerce director was very apologetic. It was as if the weighing of the fish (the weighing of the fish? This is a big deal??) sucked everyone out of Rocky Mount to the lake.

Today, Saturday, I got hubby to take me to Lowe's to get 4 pots of geraniums (poor sad little things; they were marked down & had been neglected) for our back deck, and 6 pots of white flowers...forget the name of them!...that bloom in shade, for Muffie's grave-garden out back.
He decided to get a ream of paper for his printer nextdoor at WalMart's, and when he came back to pick me up at Lowe's, he told me Wallie World's parking lot was entirely full, streams of traffic going in and coming out, and town itself was nothing but bumper-to-bumper traffic.

I am happy for the merchants, the hotels and motels, the restaurants. But I'm glad my freezer is full so we can hide out here back in the woods. Yes, I did grow up in DC and then lived many years in northern CA (Carmichael, near Sacramento), but living in northern very rural Maine for 19 years turned me into someone who prefers small town life, seeing everyone you know at Kroger's on Tuesday (5% off day for seniors) or at Rose's on Wednesday (TEN% off for
seniors) or at the marketplace on first Thursdays.

I've driven in LA, Portland Maine, Boston (ARGHHH!), DC, NOVA (that's northern Virginia) but I'll just stick with Rocky Mount for now. Not on bass tournament weekend. CNN was there. ESPN was there.

OK, I'd better blog to Heather's challenge, although I do not know 8 other bloggers who haven't already gotten her e-mail!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home