On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

of Septic Tanks and other mundane things

As a former city girl (Washington DC & Sacramento CA) turned country (Presque Isle Maine & now Rocky Mount, VA) septic tanks were not part of my earlier life.

Heck, you just flush that flush...a Maine term...& life goes on. Or doesn't~

I am so thankful that Hubby, raised in the backwoods of northern Maine, knows exactly what to do when the thousand gallon tank decides it has reached the limit. Find the plot diagram, since we do have 12 acres of wooded land, measure out from the house, dig down in this wonderful clay soil, then call the pumper-outer people.

The other evening, I was out to supper with three women friends who live in town. They complained about their huge water bills that are soon to increase, the cost of weekly garbage pickup, and other maintenance costs. I sat there, so smug...no wonder our septic system grumbled at me.

But I would not ever trade our beautiful view of the BlueRidge Mountains for downtown, even if downtown Rocky Mount is hardly the big city. And we've never met kinder, friendlier, more welcoming people.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Marion, I have had my share of septic issues in my last two houses. Although I was a neighborhood girl, we had a septic tank - go figure. Anyhoo, I had to actually replace the septic and drainfield in my last house. It was 30 years old and needed replacing, but there was also a big hole in the top of it. Everytime it rained (as it does in Florida) the tank filled up with dirt and it could not drain. Needless to say we have our own family motto, "If it's brown flush it down, if it's yellow let it mellow!" I am so glad I can now flush when I do either one (or two)... Amy H

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home