On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sadie Mae's Latest Adventure

As I've mentioned, Sadie Mae is half Yorkie and half Bichon Frisee. The veterinarian tells me she has the Yorkie's brains and temperament, and the Bichon's sweetness.

Yesterday, she ventured out on the front porch to find an exciting big bug (I think it was a June bug?) with iridescent wings. It was giving out a loud tick-tick-tick, fascinating for an investigating Yorkie. Sadie Mae promptly put the entire live bug into her mouth, clamping her jaws tight.

It continued to tick-tick-tick. Her big dark innocent eyes focused on me. I told her: Drop it!

Unfazed, she looked at me as if to say: Drop what?

Tick-tick-tick. Her jaws were still together. Tick-tick-tick

Sadie Mae! I said, You drop that bug right now!

Her eyes got bigger. What bug? she seemed to mumble through her jaws. Tick-tick-tick.

By now, I was laughing so hard at that innocent look of hers...and trying to figure out how to get that big bug out of her mouth...finally I grabbed a doggie treat from inside the front door. I dropped it a few feet from her, and saw her trying to figure out how to get the treat without dropping her new friend/toy/goodie. Tick-tick-tick. She dropped the bug and went for the treat. Yes, I'm afraid I scooped up the big bug and gave it a proper funeral in the flush. I really did not want bug guts all over the carpet!

4 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Oh how funny - she is worse than my children. My kids found a worm in the driveway and brought it inside to live. I let each of them hold it for a picture and then made them take it back outside. Gross!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Awww.... she was livin' the dream - answering that call of the wild.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Aw, that's too cute. I had to teach my dog to "Drop it!" because he ALWAYS has something in his mouth he's trying to sneak in!

Glad you're back Marion!

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

5:42 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

You really gave me a good laugh here, Marion! What a wonderful and hilarious and perfect description of Sadie Mae's Big Bug Conquest!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home