On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Monday, May 26, 2008

Preacher Cookies

The theory is that Preacher Cookies came about during the pioneer days, when the preacher arrived on horseback with very little, if any, advance notice. There certainly would not have been time to hitch up the buggy and go to town to shop for flour or whatever you might not have ready in your pantry. You also would not have the woodstove blasting out the high heat needed to bake cookies; if the stove was just a bit hot on one side, enough to heat up the coffeepot, that would take the chill off the kitchen in spring.

Mind you, to receive the preacher without being able to offer him sweets was not good for your chances for a happy after-life!

Some clever housewife, figuring the winter weather was ending with a balmy spring that might find the circuit-riding preacher on his way, came up with these preacher cookies. They are more like a fudge candy than an actual cookie, but I won't mess with tradition. Since my husband has Celiac and cannot eat anything with wheat, this is a favorite around our house.

PREACHER COOKIES
1 stick butter or margarine, chunked up
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cocoa
Mix these first 4 ingredients in a heavy pot, heat and stir constantly until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil for 1.5 minutes, then remove from heat and Add:
1.5 cups dry oatmeal
1 cup peanut butter (I prefer chunky, but creamy is fine)
1 tbsp vanilla
Mix thoroughly. Drop onto a sheet of waxed paper by tablespoon or 1/4 cup measure. When cooled and hardened, refrigerate (or put in the cool spring house until the preacher arrives).

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger cathies said...

Hallo Mom~
I am sure that you may recall this same recipe is also listed in the "Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook (and Finacial Planner), but it is referenced under the very different title~ "Catsh*t Cookies" because "well, that is sort of what they look like". hehe!
Actually they are very sinfully good despite what they look like!
Love Cathie

11:07 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Ya know, you keep posting these great recipes and I will have to keep linking my Food For Thought blog to yours.

My husband just sent me the Neiman-Marcus cookie recipe. I had seen it float through my inbox before. I may have to have a cookie post soon...

btw: This recipe makes me wonder why I couldn't find go into the business of preaching. I mean these cookies may be all the reason anyone needs.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home