On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Monday, May 19, 2008

Local Food and a Recipe

It's strawberry time here, so I went to the Beckner's Farm Stand (on Rt #122 in Burnt Chimney) and bought quarts and quarts of their strawberries, which had been picked early that same morning. The Beckners are German Baptist farmers and grow everything they sell from their stand. If you go there early enough this time of year, you'll find one of their daughters scrubbing and cleaning the greenhouse tomatoes and those delish long English cukes. Sometimes Mom or an Aunt comes running out with a warm-from-the-oven loaf of zucchini bread wrapped in a dishtowel. Yum!

But their strawberries are prized. As big as those huge tasteless berries that are shipped from thousands of miles away to our grocery stores, the Beckner's berries are so ripe and sweet they beg you to take them home with you. Not only that, their prices are comparable to the store's prices in town.

I promised a recipe. Here's my strawberry salad~
STRAWBERRY SALAD
2 hearts of Romaine (or 1 large head) chopped
1 quart fresh strawberries
2 tsp good quality Balsamic vinegar
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1-2 tsp Splenda or sugar, if desired
1/4 cup sliced almonds
(1) When you rinse and clean the berries, put aside 3 or 4 large berries for garnish. (2) Put about 1 cup berries into a small bowl and mash with potato masher. Add Splenda or sugar if needed. (3) Add Balsamic vinegar and EVOO, then whisk together. Stir in remaining cleaned and sliced berries to vinegar mix. (4) When ready to serve, toss Romaine bits with the berries and Balsamic mixture, top with sliced almonds and garnish with large berries. Serve immediately. Beautiful when served in a clear glass bowl.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

*grumble*grumble*

See? You've woken my stomach up! I was going pickin' but have run out of time this past few weeks. I may just buy the fresh strawberries then - thanks for the local tip.

The recipe I will not only try, but send to my mother (the vegetarian). She will go crazy for it!

Thanks!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I think that's the place where they sell homemade chocolate cookies. Kelly loves them. They're really soft and chewy. And we have gotten them warm just like the zucchini bread!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Marion said...

Debi, that must be the place. They have those long white "caterpillars" of plastic-covered hay, or whatever it is.I didn't know about the chocolate cookies, but everything there is home made or home grown.
Amy: Let me know how you like the strawberry salad. I'm fixing it again for our church picnic in early June.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Yum Yum. I'll have to get some!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh the joy of strawberries that actually taste sweet like summer! Love the sound of that recipe of yours, am going to have to try it - thanks for sharing!

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home