On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Friday, November 16, 2007

Hubby in News-Post & Eagle

Handsome hubby made the papers while singing with his quartet, The Waterfront Four, at the chili festival at Smith Mountain Lake. Nice picture of the 4 of them in their Hawaiian shirts.

Have been busy this week helping my doctors buy their newest model sports cars. Checkups, tests, follow-up to ascertain the Shingles have left the building. Never did actually break out or itch. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

Tomorrow I roast two smoked turkey breasts and make some cornbread dressing, plus (maybe) a pumpkin cheesecake, crustless, so Dick can have something from the dessert table at church on Sunday, when we feed the congregation and are joined by some community members who could use a good hot meal and a little Thanksgiving cheer. If I don't make the cheesecake, there's a recipe for a candy that only takes melted dark chocolate, chopped almonds, and chopped dried cranberries.

This way, I get Thanksgiving out of the way early since we're neither going to visit family nor are they coming our way. That was always the day my family got together, eating ourselves foolish, and I continued the tradition when I had my own children. My daughter Cathie still carries on, although some years it is tough for her, as her husband died of a massive coronary on Thanksgiving day...actually, the night before, as she came downstairs that morning to find him on the floor, gone, and a blizzard howling outside. We drove the 11 miles over and helped the emergency folks get into the driveway. I went upstairs to sit with my three grandkids, trying to sooth a soon-to-be-five year old by telling her she now had her own personal angel to watch over her.

That was in 1997, and here we are in 2007, Cathie wins a total of $81,000 which includes a race driver-designed Dodge Charger that will be driven to her door on November 27th, 10 years to the very day her husband died. I guess sometimes angels take 10 years to bring a blessing about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home