On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Fall is Crockpot Time

Cool, clear morning and the fall colors are beautiful as I look out my kitchen window over to the BlueRidge Mountains. The birds have been pushing each other away to get at the birdfeeder, and Sadie Mae wants to go chase squirrels.

How that does translate to hauling out the crockpot, filling it with deer meat, cut up tenderloin of pork, and root veggies, adding beef broth and a bit of red wine after it has filled the kitchen with wonderful smells. This is my favorite time of year, when it is crisp and cool but not actually cold. Is it even possible to make a SMALL pot of soup or stew or roast?

Even though there are just the two of us, I use the larger crockpot, chunking up Yukon Gold potatoes (me too, Amy, ever since I first was handed a bag of those beauties, at the University of Maine, Presque Isle, when they were growing them experimentally and trying to convince the local potato farmers to grow them) sweet onions, carrots, celery, even half of a huge turnip. Leftovers are good, with everything that's going on this week.

Dick sings in the barbershop chorus this coming weekend, so any food stashed in the fridge will come in handy.

Later this week, I'll make a batch of chili. We like it with beans and chunks of tomato, cornbread on the side, and grated sharp cheddar cheese melting on top.

Yes, it is definitely fall! Time to put the flannel sheets on the bed.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Linda G. said...

Mmmmmm, I can almost smell that tasty stew from here..it's getting to be that time of year alright..even in Arizona.
I'm glad you're winning the shingles battle, and that you're getting a little pampering from your DH:)

11:55 AM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Sounds great! You are making me hungry!!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Mmmm...you're making me hungry! It's in the twenties down here in the North Carolina mountains--your
soup or chili sure would taste good tonight! I do love using my crockpot when it gets cold--I love the way it fills the house all day with such delicious smells and fills me with anticipation!

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home