On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, October 27, 2007

SMAC and my play

Smith Mountain Arts Council held their annual meeting Thursday evening and for entertainment, four 10-minute plays were performed by SMAC members who had attended a Mill Mountain Theatre acting class. After the plays, I went over to congratulate my friend Peggy, who had acted in one of the plays. She introduced me to the person who had taught the classes, telling her about my 30-minute play that I've written for the SMAC playreading group.

Lo and behold: I was asked to send a copy of my play to her. I know not why, but it's exciting to contemplate Summer at the Lake, which is NOT about SML but concerns a small lake in northern Maine, and visitors who drop by but then do not leave, as fitting somewhere into the Mill Mountain productions, or possibly the next classes they hold.

Yesterday (Friday) after our Lake Writers regular meeting, three of us met for lunch and decided we'd read my play on a Sunday in February, to the playreading group. My hairdresser, Eric, was into little theater years ago; he's asked to play the part of the arrogant doctor. Peggy will be his Trophy Wife, cellphone to ear. I'll be Aunt Edna, who is a breath of fresh air...she descends on the group with a plan, and her plan sends the doctor and his wife, their two kids, and their small dog running off full-speed. Except for Aunt Edna, this actually is a true story, changed around for the humor.

I've never written a play before, and this one was written just to be read off the page, so we'll see what happens next. (I just did a small edit here; I decided not to put the entire end of the play on my blog...after all, Google is watching...) and thanks for the nice comment, Amy.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

As I told you before - I am sooooo happy for you! Your play is funny, well-written, and entertaining (just like you)! You and your play deserve all the success in the world!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Was Pat Wilhelms the person from MMT? If so, you'll remember her father-in-law Bob from Lake Writers many years ago.

Pat is multi-talented. She and I were involved in 1999 in a project called "Homespun," wherein we did school presentations about the history and culture of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home