On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Update on Shingles Diagnosis

This has to be the mildest case of shingles ever...or it could be that the med started so quickly just put the brakes on it. she said, whilst knocking on wood.

No rash to speak of, no blisters, no itching. The pain has definitely decreased. Friends e-mailed me that they'd heard it was contagious, but I checked and that's only if there are blisters that break, and there's direct contact with someone who has never had chicken pox. And any contagion would be chicken pox, not shingles. Still, I plan to stay at home.

Today was interesting: Hubby lectured me about the need for me to stay home, not drive anywhere, not even get dressed so I wouldn't be tempted to even drive up to our mailbox, half a mile away. After he finished his heartfelt lecture, he went to the fridge for a glass of milk and said: Hey, you'll have to get milk and sodas and eggs, we're out of them.

I just smiled and waited for it to sink in.

OH, he said. I guess I'll have to go to the store, won't I? (yup) What else do we need? (I gave him the list, reminding him that it was Old Fogey Day at Kroger's.) And I guess I'd better take the trash to the dumpster? (yup) And doesn't Sadie Mae have a beauty shop appointment today? (yup) And you leave her there and pick her up later? (yup). This was getting to be too much fun...

And you could pick up my book that's at the library on hold, since you are going to town, I said. Please, dear?

The eggs, he said. Do you still buy the brown jumbo eggs at Franklin Mini-Mart? (yup...they're the freshest in town.) He sighed, but he took Sadie Mae along and ran all those errands, picking up the paper and the mail on his way back home. He deserves some kind of medal, poor guy. First the broken ankle that kept me sidelined for three solid months, and now this Shingles thing.

Remember promising in sickness and in health? Well, I took care of him through months and months of serious illness when we still were living in Maine, so it seems now to be his turn. I'm just glad he's taking this so well. And also pleased that this case of Shingles so far is very mild.

So, friends and family: don't worry about me, I'm fine as old wine, truly. The women on my mother's side were hale and hearty into their 90's. That's my plan...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I am sorry to hear you are sick, but glad to see you getting better AND receiving the "Princess Treatment". Give Dick plenty of thank yous and maybe his "good behavior" will outlast your medicine.

One can only hope...

10:59 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Marion, I'm so glad you're doing so well and that the pain has eased. And enjoy your "royal" treatment--it sounds like your husband is a good sport about it. I'm sure he's happy to have the chance to give you a little pampering!

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home