On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Harmeneers of Smith Mountain Lake

Don't go to Spellcheck.

The BarberShop Men's Chorus deliberately spells it Harmeneers. Their annual fall concert took place last night at the Trinity Ecumenical Parish at Smith Mountain Lake, and it was standing room only. Hubby sings Bass in the chorus of around 40 men; he also sings Bass with The Waterfront Four, a breakout quartet from the chorus.

An estimated 450 people attended; today was their matinee performance and attendance was around 400.

Proceeds from both days, as well as from their Valentine's Day events, provide scholarships to local students.

But this isn't about proceeds, it's about the old time joyful music they sing. The first concert I attended brought tears to my eyes as song after song reminded me of my Dad singing and tap-dancing around the house during my childhood. He knew all those songs, every lyric. The music immediately takes me back in time.

Interestingly, barbershop singing relies on each singer memorizing the tune, the words, and the subtleties of his part. Only the Lead singer voices the music you and I would recognize; the Bass, Tenor, and Baritone versions harmonize with the Lead but sound very strange when sung alone. There is no accompanying piano nor is there any other instrument. You will hear one note blown on a pitch pipe to give them their start; from then on, they must sing their individual part in tune. The harmonies are beautiful.

Guest singers came from the DC area; four young men calling themselves Bachelor Party despite one of the four having recently married entertained us with several oldies. The theme for the evening was The USO Years, and there was indeed a bit of flag-waving. When the chorus sang a song for each branch of the military, the audience was asked to stand if they had served in that branch. There was hardly a dry eye as most of the audience stood. The Chorus members then saluted those standing.

After the concert, the group and their spouses attended a local restaurant for their buffet, and more singing as each quartet sang a few selections before the guest quartet sang. Then everyone (even some of us women) sang one piece together.

The fall concert is now officially over, but it won't be too long before the Smith Mountain Lake Harmeneers begin filling their program for Valentine sing-outs. For a fee, a quartet will serenade your loved one with three love songs, presenting her/him with a long-stemmed red rose and taking a picture of the event. They've sung at workplaces, in nursing homes, in parking lots, in restaurants, just about anywhere, during the week of Valentine's Day. I can tell you stories~

2 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Oh I'm sorry I missed that! That sort of music reminds me of my "Big Daddy." My grandfather sang in a quartet at a small baptist church in Barnardsville N.C. I used to get so tickled at him because he would always try to out-sing everyone else. You took me back Miss Marion!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I would have loved to have heard this concert, Marion. I love a cappella music. You've intrigued me writing of the stories surrounding the Harmeneer Valentine's Day "sing-outs." I hope you'll share some of them!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home