On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Your Name in the Paper

Generations ago, it was thought inappropriate for one's name to be in the newspaper except on two acceptable occasions: birth and death. Now, it's everybody's 15 minutes of fame and some push and shove to get their faces turned towards the camera. We see completely untalented singers standing in front of three 'judges' and singing off-key and out of tune. Couldn't their friends or family have told them ahead of time...Honey, I love you, but you just cannot sing?

Ah, but this is a story about having your name in the paper...I hope I haven't already blogged about this, 'cause it is one of my favorite stories.

Some years back, while living in California and raising three kids, I was visiting a good friend whose four boys were already in their teens. She told me about her youngest, David, who was reading the morning paper while eating his breakfast when he shouted, delightedly:" HEY! LOOK! My name is in the paper!"

His brothers and Mom and Dad huddled around him as he pointed at the sports pages. Sure enough, he'd joined the golf team at school, and his name was listed among the members.

"David," said his proud Mom, "when your name is in the paper like that, you cut it out." She began clearing the breakfast table and decided to buy David a scrapbook when she went to the store later, so he could keep pictures and articles.

After everyone left for school and work, Martha went into John and David's shared bedroom to straighten up and dust. From the doorway, she saw something very tiny and white on the dresser top. Going closer, then closer still, she discovered: David's name, cut from the newspaper. Just his name, the tiniest narrow strip of paper carefully scissored out.

She laughed and laughed. He'd taken her advice to heart, all right. Cut his name right out of the paper.

She and I got the biggest kick out of David's interpretation. I suspect she Scotch-taped it right onto the first page of the scrapbook she bought for him. And of course this became one of those family history stories that she now shares with her grandchildren about their father.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger June said...

That's too funny! It reminds me of my first job application way back. When I got to the space where you entered "salary desired?" I answered "yes". Of course, I didn't get the job.

11:09 PM  
Blogger colleen said...

That's a riot!

I still get shaky when I see my name in print. Sort of like how the Native Americans didn't like their photos taken because they felt it would take a piece of their soul.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home