On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

September 11th~

My memories of that awful morning aren't as personal as others, but who can forget where we were and what we saw that day?

Dick had just driven 22 hours home from Maine, stopping only to drink strong coffee, use the restroom, and fill the gas tank. He drove past the Towers off in the distance, he drove by the Pentagon, finally arriving home around 7 am. I was watching GMA in the living room; he crashed onto our bed and was immediately asleep.

Suddenly, the TV screen filled with the unbelievable scene: a plane had flown into one of the towers of the Trade Center! Must have been a small plane gone off track, I thought. I rushed to wake Dick and made him watch with me as the unthinkable tragedy unfolded...as the second plane, leaving an indelible shape behind, crashed into the other tower.

We cried as we saw people falling from the towers, smoke billowing, people screaming down on the streets of New York. Again and again, we thought: This cannot possibly be happening. It's a movie, somehow, it cannot be!

But of course, it was happening. People were dying as we sat, mesmerized, watching all day and nearly all night long, then all week long, tears streaming down as we tried to comprehend that there were people out there, countries full of people, who hated us Americans. Hated us! Hated our stores, our religions, our children, our parents, US! Hated us enough to kill themselves in order to destroy us. Hated us enough that mothers would encourage their sons and daughters to become suicide bombers.

It is still impossible for me to get my head around that concept, that a mother would willingly sacrifice her child because of her hatred of a religion different from her own.

We lost SO much that day, six years ago.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Your post sounded pretty personal to me. Even after six years, the memory of what happened is still so clear.

9-11 and the JFK assassination are the two events that our generation will always carry with us. We'll never forget either one.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

The world changed that day. It will never be the same. Thank you for sharing your memory of this tragic day.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Linda G. said...

Thank you for your moving acount of your experience and feelings on that terrible day.

Americans simply can't afford to forget September 11, 2001

12:52 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I'm convinced the terrorists are truly evil. I can't believe with our technology and intelligence, that we can't catch Bin Laden. I'm sorry, but I want retaliation, revenge, punishment, whatever you want to call it. I smelled the smoke that day.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Yansor said...

thank you for sharing
Txx

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home