On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Friday, September 07, 2007

Please Don't Order Salad at The Hub~

OK, I shoulda known. The Hub in Rocky Mount is famous for their butterscotch pie, their veggie plates, their pancakes in the morning. But salads are just not their thing!

Today, I was meeting a GF for lunch at 1 at Edible Vibe. But EV was closed; they were having some construction done, so we went to The Hub. When hubby and I first moved here, every time we drove somewhere we ended up at The Hub. It became our big joke. "Oh, look, there's the Hub..again!"

So there we were, looking over the menu. Their specials seemed quite heavy, so both of us decided to try a salad plate...me, tuna, and GF had chicken salad. Our waitress was delightful...they're great there, as is the friendly owner. Here came our salads, on Fiesta-ware, so nice.

Oh...

A small scoop of tuna salad was centered on two, tiny wilted lettuce leaves, decorated with two tiny cherry tomatoes, one on each side of the plate, half a boiled egg, and one slice of cucumber. I could have put it in my left eye and still have seen around it. Oh, and 3 packets of those thin crackers. This lunch, with a tall glass of iced tea, certainly was no threat to any diet! So, yeah, I had to have their last slice of butterscotch pie. Yummy!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather Brush said...

I've yet to enter The Hub but only because I like other places so much more than trying a new place. Besides, my partner in trying new places has tried them all in RM with his cop partners! This is still a good thing as he can keep me clear of things not to order but it does take some fun out of it.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

For a really good salad in Rocky Mount, you should try the Daily Grind.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I love the hub... but only go there on cold fall and winter days. Their over-easy egg sandwich with a cup of coffee and side of grits will warm you for the day!

I have never (and will never thanks to Marion) try their salad. I have eyed a last piece of butterscotch pie being served to a neighboring table with great jeaolousy. Didn't you feel me giving the evil eye from here? LOL

1:54 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

The Hub is not the place for salads. It's the place you go to when you want something to stick to your ribs like a BLT, or a ham and melted swiss with onion rings, homemade stew and bread loaded with butter, bisquits, fried things and rice pudding. It's one of my favorite places.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home