On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, September 08, 2007

One Schoolbus Cake, coming up...

OK, this screams out for a picture, which I will take tomorrow when we get the entire table set up at church. I'm so pleased that the cake turned out, but I surely do have lots of goodies left over, which will be set out for the kids on Sunday.

Four small chocolate donuts for tires: well, of course I had to buy a bagful, right? Cut up red gumdrops for lights on the outside of the yellow bus...so I get a bag of mixed gumdrops of course. No black gel decorating frosting to be found, so an entire bag of black licorice strips must be sacrificed to scissors and pressed onto the yellow bus...well, three or four strips, the others will be set out as well. (Didja ever know that both red and black licorice is made with wheat flour?. Celiac-afflicted hubby can't go near licorice.)

When I was looking for the two poundcakes I needed, I was getting a bit frantic until I checked out the freezers and found good old Sara Lee had come through. So I ate the chunk I cut off the top cake to form the front of the bus...SOMEbody had to do it.

Flat small cookies for faces peering from the bus. Hmmmmm. Of course, you can't tell the size of a cookie from the bag it is in, but I discovered gingersnaps to be the perfect size for the bus driver. One cookie needed, entire bag goes...you guessed it...to the table tomorrow. For the passengers, I found some small elfin figures, with faces already (!) in a Keebler package. I whacked off their faces & pressed them onto the windows.

Canned frosting worked fine for the bus itself...I got two cans of white frosting, tinting one yellow for the top and sides of the bus.

Adorable! You can find the complete directions, along with a video, at FamilyFun.com. (Thanks again, Amy!) I put the bus together while the GF mocha chocolate cupcakes were baking. I'll frost them with GF fudge frosting. We'll scatter the table with crayons, rulers, packs of Smarties (thanks again, Amy!) and other school stuff I picked up at the Dollar Store. Our preschool director has promised to help us clean up after the party so she can gather up the school supplies she so desperately needs for her little darlings.

It was a day worth spent. I haven't made a special cake (or cupcakes) for children in ages. I remember a cookbook I had 40 years ago with cut-up cakes for kids. I must have made every cake in that book. So it was fun to go back in time this way.

Tomorrow, pictures I promise.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I am so glad it was a success! I thought about you ALL day! I can't wait to see pictures.

If my little craft blog has only helped YOUR party create fun for all - it has been a success!

8:15 PM  
Blogger Pathfinder said...

Sounds like a wonderful cake! What a lucky church to have you there doing fun things like this, and helping with school supplies for the teachers, as well. I have a huge cookie cutter colection over here, should you do cookies!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Aha! So this was why you didn't come out to hear Kurt Rheinheimer speak at Forest!

You missed a treat. Great info from an award-winning fiction writer (2003 Spokane Prize) and professional editor.

I started reading his Little Criminals last night. Good stuff!

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home