On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Friday, August 17, 2007

I love my sunporch!

Even in this hot, hot weather, my sunporch is lovely. If you go to sunporch.com you'll actually see it, as the manufacturers of the kit hubby used to build it on our existing deck, decided to use it on their brochure and online. They paid us a huge amount of money to use the photo & even sent a photog here, paying him to take the pictures. (caveat: the outdoor view was photo-shopped in; the photog came when before Spring had arrived. Remember Spring?).

Our sunporch has windows that slide down so it can become a screened porch. If this weather ever cools down, we'll be back out there eating our supper every night, plus lunch of course, and early mornings even now are cool enough to sit and have our coffee and read the Roanoke Times together.

It has added a huge room to our small house, and something else as well: we talk to each other out there. Now, most husbands and wives talk to each other, but I mean actually TALK to one-another. No TV news, no radio, no distractions. We watch the birds at the birdfeeders, laugh at Sadie Mae's antics, watch Winchester, the older chocolate Lab as he runs around in the woods with Remington, the chocolate Lab pup.

We can see the Blackwater River below us, although it is very, very low and the small fast-water section doesn't make a sound these days. A good hard rain will bring it up. When Mod-U-Kraf built this house for us, they kept wanting to put a porch on the front, which faces West and gets the hot afternoon sun. I insisted on a big deck across the back of the house instead, with its view of the river through the trees, a sloping farm pasture across the river with black Angus cattle, and in the distance, the Blue Ridge Mountains. I watch the sun rise from my kitchen window.

Adding the sunporch (hubby is allergic to wasps) year before last was a brilliant decision, if I do say so myself. I didn't realize the solar panels on top would heat our house nearly all winter. We open the French doors at 10 am if there's any sun in winter, and close them about 4 or 4:30. What a bonus, enabling us to switch off the heat.

A wonderful view perched up here as we are, free heat in winter, screened porch most of the rest of the year, extra space for our small house, and ... drum roll, please...a place to talk with each other.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky Mushko said...

There's a lot to be said for rural living: dawgs and cows and mountains and such. Them city slickers don't know what they're missing!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I am glad to not be the only one in love with an inanimate object. My back deck is very hot and I would love a screen room or sun porch. Thanks for making me drool!!! LOL

10:23 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Ooh, that sounds nice. I was thinking of maybe getting a sunroom in the future to expand the size of this house. Getting solar heat from it would be an added bonus!

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home