On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Another Ordinary (broiling!) Day

I'm sure we aren't the only folks just plain staying inside, drinking lots of iced tea, fanning ourselves, wearing loose cotton. Yesterday, I went looking for a sundress after Colleen's neat tip & found this bright beautiful very orange pleated balloon of a dress, with a crocheted top. I feel like a pumpkin in it, but isn't it cool...

Besides, nobody comes to visit in weather like this, so only Dick and the dogs sit around and snicker at the big orange squash in their house. Maybe I'll get some green sandals and wear it on Halloween.

Cleaned my pantry today. That's like the punchline to an old joke: woman comes home from a trip away to find her husband bragging about scrubbing down all the walls in the kitchen, cleaning the counters, the sink, and even baking a cake for her. She is amazed, until he tells her he initially began mixing the cake batter and forgot to turn off the beaters when he removed them from the batter....hence the scrubbing of the entire kitchen.

Today, I reached for a packet of chocolate pudding to mix up for a pudding-pie, having found another recipe for gluten-free piecrust for hubby. When I reached for the pudding mix, the pantry shelf came tumbling down onto the shelf below, which then tumbled down to the shelf below THAT one. HELP!...I summoned my helpmate as my arms filled with cans of this and that...

We discovered that the shelves we thought were sturdy were actually held up by small plastic pegs on either side; there was no brace in the middle what-so-ever. When one peg worked loose, the whole pantry and its contents came tumbling down, down, down.

Dick got some wooden braces and quickly sawed and placed the wood while I took everything out of the pantry (groan!) and situated it around the kitchen. I DID finally throw out some rather ancient items, cleaned the shelves, cleaned the plastic turntables, then re-organized everything once the shelves were solidly in place with no chance of moving or falling again.

Hey, the pantry is in great shape. I can actually find things now. I found a can of salmon I didn't know I had. And other things. Did I make the pudding pie? Yes, finally. It's still setting up at this late hour. I guess we'll have it for breakfast....

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky Mushko said...

OK, Marion. All your fans are eagerly awaiting the picture of the dress. Possible a picture of the dress with a small dog latched onto the hem.

I bought a dress last millenium, I think it was.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I know it was HOT! I spent most of the week rotating between swimming (soaking) off the dock of the rental house and bathing in the AC!

I love comfortable clothes - I think orange can be a lovely color and Halloween is my favorite time of the year. I look forward to seeing it in October!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I want a dress like that.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home