On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Coffeehouse Readings

What a great time we had at Edible Vibe last night. We filled the room; counted 40 people total. Sold some books, too. Everybody was excited, milling around, meeting everyone else, laughing, applauding (wonderful sounds, those) and enjoying the food, coffees and teas...I opted for French vanilla iced coffee with cream. Lovely on such a hot evening, but the AC was going strong, so the room was nice and cool.

I finally met Alyson Hagy; no wonder she is a favorite of the library staff. Alyson is from Rocky Mount, told me they'd farmed on the Blackwater River and she knew exactly where our home is located. Her father, Dr. Hagy, practiced in Rocky Mount and then in Roanoke.

She came up to me to ask me to sign her copy of When Men Move to the Basement and told me she loved the humor as I read two essays to the group.

Linda Hamlett Childress, who looks 25 but has a 25-year-old daughter, read from her Tobacco Farmer's Daughter & Rural Route 2. She'd driven over with her mother-in-law, Glenna, who is SO proud of Linda and asked me to mention, in my intro, that Linda completed her Bachelor of Science degree in Dental Hygiene and now has been accepted to Virginia Tech. Linda writes, works as a dental technician, is raising her family, and going on to VA Tech. Not only that, she's gorgeous. Check out Fred First's blog, or the library one (somehow, I've not been able to post links...more learning for ME to do!) for pictures from last night.

I look like a preacher, but at least not a pumpkin preacher!

Fred First read one of his Slow Road Home quiet pieces about a drought, and then the blessed rain. He also read a piece he's written about the horrors of mountain-top coal mining.

Dick Raymond read some of his humorous poetry, and played his uke. Honest!

Becky Mushko read her piece from A Cup of Comfort for Writers. She also introduced me as Rocky Mount's Erma Bombeck, which surprised and certainly pleased me.

Keith Ferrell, former NYC editor of OMNI Magazine, introduced Dan Smith, who read excerpts from his memoir, Burning the Furniture.
************************************************************************************************
Today (Saturday) I went to the Franklin County Library to hear Bob Slaughter speak about his experiences during D Day. His writing was so good, it seemed the audience was experiencing the action right along with Slaughter.

Alyson Hagy then read from her book, Snow Ashes. I got her to sign a copy to me, but forgot to tell her our Eclectic Readers Book Club has selected her book as our next one to read. Hopefully Bonnie or Marilyn remembered to tell her, as the library purchased 4 or 5 copies of her book for the book club. They were also planning to purchase several copies of Fred First's book, since we'll be reading his book in October.

Support your local writers!

4 Comments:

Blogger fred said...

You'd mentioned the book club needs but no one said anything about it, so I didn't either. Yes, it was a very well organized and conducted program. Congrats to all involved and partipating!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

I can't believe that I caught this stupid stomach thing and missed your reading! I'm so bummed! I'll catch the next one! By the way, I LOVE your book!

2:45 PM  
Blogger colleen said...

It looked like a great turnout. As it turned out here, I never even went on the family vacation, but Joe did. I was still recovering from my tooth ache (and my own recent vacation) and then was asked to work. I work so part time these days that I usually grab it when it's available.

Joe and I hope to do the beach together in September.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Wow, that sounded like a good time. Sorry I missed it.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home