On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Goosebumps...

Sunday Scribblings had goosebumps as the prompt, but I've been so busy with our Rocky Mount happenings that I had pushed this to the back of my mind (it's a bit murky back there, too) until I read Colleen's blog, and tied some things together.

Lately, I've been listening to Sunny FM Radio, which is 93.5-102.7 on my car radio. They've been playing music from the 70's...well, from my California 70's, anyway...music that absolutely takes me back to when Hubby and I met. Disco dancing was big then, and there were these tiny dance clubs in Old Sacramento, some with lighted floors, others with old wooden boothes where they encouraged you to carve your name as you sang along with the music.

No, Hubby didn't wear a white suit and imitate John Travolta, but he WAS (& is) a good dancer.

Both of us were divorced and I was thin (honest! I wouldn't lie) & wore cute little short dresses, some a bit psychedelic. Well, this was California, ya know. We tore up those dance floors, and those songs playing on my car radio immediately bring it all back. We've been married 27 years now, but it all began back there...

We even volunteered with the Dixieland Jazz Jubilee in Old Sacramento as it was beginning; it is now so huge that the days of strolling down the cobblestone alleys, eating pizza and listening to the music coming from those small clubs is over. They've built tall board fences to keep out the nonpaying Jubiliee listeners.

Music...the soundtrack of our lives. And yes, I get goosebumps when one of those songs comes up on the radio!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I am about a decade later... the goosebumps come from songs by Chicago and REO Speedwagon.

Friday night dances at my middle school. The only time the boys and girls danced together was when the slow numbers were played by the deejay. The rest of those weekends were either spent gossiping about who made out with who on the phone or daydreaming about that one perfect moment when time stopped and romance was a reality. Puppy love...

Thanks for the second trip through time this week!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Oh yes Miss Marion, me too! Isn't it funny how they trigger memories? Shannon and I were highschool sweethearts and we have lots of memories like that. I sure would love to see you and your hubby do a little diddy for us sometime!!!!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

106.9 is good too. They play a lot of late 60's, some early 70's. I love that stuff.

That must have been real nice strolling down those cobblestone alleys--I can really picture that.

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home