On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, August 05, 2007

My Black Bear story

When we lived in Maine, on the side of a mountain above a small lake in a log house we'd built, I was awakened one night by some awful howling. Dick knew immediately that a bear cub had gotten snarled in a humane leg trap he'd set for coyote. I wanted him to get up and DO something, but he said it was the middle of the night, pitch black out, and the cub would settle down and sleep shortly. It did.

Early the next morning, he put on his heavy-duty clothes, particularly his heavy gloves and we went behind the house into the woods, me with our camera ready.

Having envisioned a cute little cuddly black bear, I was surprised to see a fairly good-sized very angry bear cub, all teeth and long claws. Of course, the cub didn't know Dick was trying to rescue him, so it turned into quite an effort. I was merrily snapping pictures, stepping closer & closer, until Dick said: Marion! Keep a lookout for Momma. I'm sure she is right around here and she is NOT happy.

He then says all he saw were little puffs of dust as I wheeled and ran rapidly into the house.

It turned out Momma Bear was not right there; Dick got Baby Bear loose and it tore into the woods for his Mom. He loved telling that story on me. Still does. Dick ended up with bloody scratches on his forehead, which he attributed to the cub's long claws. Only later did I learn it was a low tree branch that did that damage...

Next wildlife story? How about the time a young moose charged my moving car?

2 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Oh! I was hoping you got some pictures!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Marion said...

Sorry, Debi, that was so many years ago...let's see, we built the log house in 1983, so we were up in the loft bedroom when I heard the yowls outside in 1984.

Pictures were taken, but I have no idea which shoebox they are in!

I have so many wildlife stories from living in northern Maine (surrounded on 3 sides by Canada) that I could write a book...in fact, I'm trying to convince my hubby to do that. He's still a Master Maine Guide almost a legend up there.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home