On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Tuesday at Kroger's

The woman ahead of me in line was very, very angry. She began accusing the clerk (who was training a bright young woman at the cash register) of conspiring to charge more for a product than was advertised...The clerk (who is one of their most capable) calmly explained to the customer that there was no conspiracy, that the computer simply read the bar code, that the assistant manager was checking to see what the price on that product was.

The clerk was patient; the customer was explosive. Her anger spilled over to the other customers as the assistant mgr and then the mgr came over to try to calm her down. The ice cream was NOT on sale; she had looked at a price sticker for a similar item.

The customer slammed her cart out the door after paying for the groceries with her card. "I'm never shopping here again!" she announced.

I grinned at the clerk, and the young trainee. "Gosh, we're gonna miss her!" I said.

When I got out to the parking lot, there stood the angry woman, speaking to the younger woman with her.

"I locked my keys in the car!" she was saying, her face like a thundercloud, her mouth twisted.

Did she go back into Kroger's and ask for help from the Customer Help Desk? I didn't wait around to see, but I did see that the ice cream in her cart was beginning to melt and drip....

2 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

That's too funny Marion. You know what they say, what goes around comes around. Of course it IS a pain nowadays that prices are not actually on anything anymore. Half the time I don't know what I'm paying and don't have the time to try to find the price! I hate that.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Thanks for reminding us all that "what comes around, goes around" - an important lesson! I hope she had to wait a full hour before the AAA guy came to break into her car (as the temperature climbed!) Thanks for the laugh!!

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home