On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Monday, July 02, 2007

Monday of a quiet week to come

I'm not a fireworks person, despite growing up in Washington DC and watching the big display from the hill near my high school.

I loved the reactions of my kids, raising them on a cul-de-sac in Carmichael, CA, where all of us with little kids would pitch in to buy huge amounts of fireworks & set them off safely in the street circle, putting our lawn chairs in our driveways to watch. Then we'd have homemade peach ice cream before we dragged the kids inside for bath-time and bed. And the adults would return outside and visit over a glass or two of wine. Those are my good memories...

After that, though, fireworks got bigger and louder as did my kids. Divorced, I moved to a townhouse where fireworks were not allowed. We had to drive miles, sit on hard bleacher seats, and pay an admission fee...about then, my teens decided they were much too old for such childish displays. This was fine with their Mom!

Years later, second marriage, move to rural Maine into a part-log home on a hill. Hubby and I would drive just a few miles to an old restored one-room schoolhouse where we could watch the fireworks from a distance. If we wanted to. But the oooooohs and aaaaaahs of toddlers are to me the best part of those evenings, and our grandchildren live many miles away from us. We can only imagine....

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Marion, I know what you mean. I used to ooooh and aaaah over them, but after a nightly display at Disney at the end of a long shift, I can't say they do much for me anymore. What's worse is that people were always so mean and anxious at the end of the day. Partly from the long lines and hot sun, and the also because they banked their happy memories of that vacation on seeing those fireworks. I have seen people push other families aside, or yell at a "cast member" for a better view.

Now when I see a large crowd, I usually run the other way.

Nice blog!

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home