On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sunday musings~

Unusual for me to be at my computer, but at yesterday's wonderful picnic, I stood more than I should have & now am paying the price in pain. So we both stayed home from church and have all this amazing time to just sit around.

Dick not only grilled chicken breasts for yesterday's picnic, he added some moose, deer, and bear meat. He sliced everything up & I put lots of fresh parsley around the trays. I was pleasantly surprised that nearly everyone there (maybe 80 people) tried some of the wild meat & loved it. There's no wild taste if the meat is handled correctly & marinated & grilled. Most folks believe it has to be cooked to death, but this was all just like choice steak.

Colleen Redman's blog mentions her 'writing prompts' from another blog, so I went there today, and the prompt is "I've Got a Secret." You mention something in your Blog & readers try to guess what the secret is.

I think I'm too much of a "blurt it all out" person to follow that prompt, but maybe not. I just commented on Becky's blog about her picture of a singlewide set up for a wedding (or reception) with a fancy arch and huge green tractors, one on each side of the arch! Well, my comment was probably longer than her Blog, as I was so offended by videos shown on GMA of brides deliberately trashing their very expensive wedding gowns by wallowing in swampy water or mud or standing in a carwash & being photographed for their own albums. One dress was $2,500. I was horrified; all I could think about was some poor young woman who could have gotten one of those dresses at GoodWill or Salvation Army and felt wonderful at her own wedding. It's just obscene for those women to deliberately trash those beautiful dresses.

Of course, I had TWO weddings. The first dress, packed & saved at my inlaw's house, was ruined by a flood in their basement. After divorcing, when I married present husband, I bought an old-fashioned Jessica McClintock 1890's style dress, which I was able to wear again on our 10th anniversary when we renewed our vows. Since it is a size 8, it still hangs protected in my closet. I don't think I'll ever be a size 8 again, but I have a tall lanky grandaughter who will fit into it some day.

That's my rant for the day! Ankle felt like shattered glass this morning and I even had to let Sadie Mae run free instead of leashing her, so she raced around outdoors for 20 minutes before she returned home, pink tongue hanging out. Now I'll send Dick up on his ATV to get our Sunday paper & we'll sit on the sunporch (now all screens so it won't get too hot) & look out at the BlueRidge Mountains in the distance...

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

The mountains are looking lovely today and the weather is perfect. Not too hot! Enjoy the break (no pun intended) on the ankle and ask Dick for bell to ring as he may need to bring the bon-bons on a silver tray today.

I am also Ho Humming today. It would be nice and quiet if I didn't have three kids running all over the place.

Oh well, have some peace and quiet for me too!

Amy H

11:50 AM  
Blogger colleen said...

I still have both my non-traditional wedding dresses. One, my friend wore for a poetry performance we did at a dance recital. She was portraying the moon as I read moon poetry and a third woman spoke facts about the moon.

I could have given some real secrets away today, but I wasn't in the mood. Generally, I'm an open book with a few torn out pages.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Better resend your comment to my blog. I haven't gotten it. Also, you might want to put a link with my name so your legion of devoted readers will know which Becky you mean. (I'm the one at http://peevishpen.blogspot.com).

Enjoy the sunroom. soon it's gonna rain.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home