On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Journaling~

This Blogging (that Becky talked me into) is addictive. I've never been good at keeping a Journal, but now I feel this is the best way to do that.

Yesterday (Friday) was another day of doctor's visits instead of meeting with Lake Writers.

About my ankle: it appears that my doctor's prediction that I'd be able to walk without the brace and cane in 'about a month' is a prediction for some 20-year old who might have twisted her ankle playing tennis. Instead, it's going to be more like THREE months total at my age, and I'm already approaching two months. This is a relief to know; I left the brace off on Thursday so I could get a much-needed pedicure (ingrown nails, don't ask) & ended up with lots of ankle swelling and pain. I was worried that the hairline fracture had turned into a real break, but apparently not.

Now, when are these Golden Years supposed to start?

Today includes an annual picnic for Dick's Barbershop Chorus. He grilled some chicken breasts and will slice them onto a platter with some parsley for decoration. He's good at that; he was a meatcutter and worked for a gourmet market in CA when I met him. I remember my lobbyist boss at that time was upset that I was dating a mere meatcutter...until he & his wife answered Dick's invitation to dinner and discovered a wonderful steak dinner, good wine, and the elegant home he shared with another bachelor at the time. They had a large pool and outdoor Jacuzzi, and would ride golf carts from their garage over to the golf course.

That takes me back almost 30 years in time!

Now we live on our 12 wooded acres above the Blackwater River, in our own piece of paradise, Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance. Perfect. Peaceful. Lovely neighbors, each on their 16 or 18 acre piece of land, hidden in the tall trees. Someone bought a piece up near 122 and she (newly divorced, we hear, with 4 kids) is building a McMansion there...three stories high, lots of attic peaks, even a castle-like turret. I hear some of the neighbors are unhappy, as we all seem to hunker down into the trees while this new house will soar above the mailboxes and paper tubes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Ahhh a McMansion. Sounds unnaturally impressive. I am sorry to hear about your ankle delay in healing. Just make sure you are using this time to let your husband and others give you the princess treatment.
BTW: I too, never journaled and blogging really is addictive.

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home