On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Getting Older Ain't for Sissies~

I came home from the eye doctor the other day, driving very carefully from Roanoke as my eyes were still dilated and everything was very, very bright. I'd gotten myself one of those 4-pronged canes to steady my fractured right ankle and am still learning how to use it along with the black leather brace on my foot. No, there's not a whip to go along with this outfit!

Dick hadn't driven me to the eye docs as he's had that awful flu that keeps a person from getting too far away from a bathroom...

When I got to my front door, Sadie Mae, my bolting Yorkie pup, flew by me yipping her high-pitched squeal at her delight that I'd returned home. I was struggling with my keys, the awkward cane, and my purse.

Dick, resembling a grey ghost in his flu misery, shouted: Quick! Run & catch Sadie Mae!

I burst out laughing. RUN & CATCH Sadie Mae? "I can't see, can't run...or even walk...and you're throwing up all over the place. This is like living in an old folks' home!"

Fortunately, Sadie whipped around and made one of her famous big leaps back into the house.

Maybe I need to keep one of those Grabbers by the front door ....

2 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

At least you were driving the PT Cruiser! I say let's rebel and fight this old age thing creeping up on us!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Oh Marion! That is horrible. My ankle still swells and hurts by the end of the day. I refuse to get it checked out now. They will break it for sure.
My daughter had that flu, and so did my mom. It was the most horrible experience with a sick child that I have ever known- and she is 10 years old!
Sadie Mae must have known you needed her to be responsible. Dogs live by the creed that it is much more fun to run when being chased.
I am only 35 and wish for the days when I didn't have any aches and pains. I am not looking forward to getting any older!!
Hang in there...

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home