On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Lots happening...how did it get to be February so soon?

Sadie did have her surgery, poor baby. They also implanted a microchip in her shoulder. That way, if she runs off or is taken and gets loose, any vet can read the number and trace her to us.

They kept her for two nights; I was worried as she panics when we're gone for two HOURS. (When we finally get home, she jumps higher in the air than imaginable, as if she had big springs on her four feet, and she grins.) We finally brought her home Saturday morning. She squeaked in pain as she kept trying to run and jump, but couldn't. They gave us pain drops, which she really liked! She'd lick the dropper, then climb in my lap and sleep for at least an hour.

Of course, we've had to keep the randy chocolate Labs well away from her as she still has those hormonal scents for awhile. Today...Tuesday...she is finally pain-free, running fast as she can, pushing her ball away, then running to get it. She weighed 7.6 lbs when I took her in and I believe she lost a bit of weight.

So good to have this over with. She's sleeping right on my feet as I write this, all curled up.

Other news: Seems Ibby Greer must close her Blue Lady Bookshop after all. Their insurance won't cover the tiny building on their estate if it continues as a business. Once Jubal Early's law office, the historical little place must shut down. She's planning a big book sale on Saturday the 17th of this month, then her shop moves online entirely at www.blueridgetraditions.com

For my friends who have worried about my health so much, I'll add that I'm regaining much of the energy I've always depended upon, even planning to attend the SMAC Coffee House music presentation on Friday, February 16th. I'll bring a gluten-free dessert, probably the Preacher Cookies that everyone at Ibby's enjoyed so much! They're as much fudge as cookies, and so good.

Dick is down with a chest cold and sore throat, worried that he'll not be able to sing with his quartet for all the Valentine sing-outs. The other three, however, said they were sure to be able to find another Bass to sing with them....whereupon, it appears his throat is getting MUCH better! I fixed a batch of chicken soup yesterday, hot tea with honey today. I may make him some more chicken soup today. He ate some BBQ chicken and french fries at the little Minute Mart when he went to the dumpster. Methinks he is healing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home