On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Christmas is coming!

Well, just a few days until Christmas. And one of our 16 grandchildren seems a bit disappointed in us, although his father, my son Mike, & his wife Jennifer are both delighted. Here's what we did.

The Roanoke Times ran a big story about Heifer International. I went to the site & ordered baby chicks to be sent to four destitute families in, say, Africa. HI will send the chicks & provide assistance in the form of showing the families how to care for, feed & raise the chicks so they'll have eggs, chickens, more eggs for themselves as well as other families in their village.

Folks can also donate honey bees, goats, even a cow. In fact, classes of children have been known to raise funds to buy a cow for a village.

As I said, my son was delighted. But his boys want to know when their chicks will arrive...at their home in Montana! Ooops. I e-mailed their Dad; time for more explanation of this gift. If I'd ordered earlier, I could have gotten HI's beautiful gift card to send on to the four families, but I only had time for their e-card.

Next year, I will start earlier. Imagine being able to feed a family, or a village, with a relatively small donation, instead of running around, shopping for something that may not fit or may not be suitable, or may go right back into the box to be exchanged, as well as wrapping it and mailing it out. The other family members are a bit older; recent college graduate on down to teens, and they get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home