On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Puppy Days & Nights

Well, haven't blogged for awhile...busy times now, with Christmas near & lots of get-togethers. Dick's Ham Radio Club meets tonight for their annual dinner. Last night was our church music director's wonderful open house...she decorates their Victorian house better than Martha Stewart ever thought of doing! And her husband, the cook, puts together a veritable feast. Their two young daughters get to help placing foods on platters & putting them on the groaning table.

It feels so good, not only to visit such good friends, but to not have to plan, shop for, and cook a meal night after night. Of course, I'll need a whole new XXX wardrobe if this goes on much longer.

Last night, there were chocolate covered balls of peanut butter filling the size of golf balls. Might as well just apply them directly to each hip. And avocado & spinach dip. OK, OK, don't need to go into all this, right?

The puppies stayed here at home; they aren't old enough yet to socialize. Chrissie, their poodle-mix, would have loved to entertain Sadie Mae, but I suspect Miss Sadie would have gone into her zoom, zoom routine, which would not be a good plan in unfamiliar territory.

She began her Click! training yesterday, and today had great success with the COME command. I say Come, she spins her head around & RUNS toward me as I click the clicker, then I give her a tiny pea-sized piece of chicken breast. Whew! Finally a way to keep her from running in the opposite direction, into the dried leaves in the woods, or, as she did Sunday, down the hill towards the Blackwater River.

Remington, the chocolate Lab puppy, stays in his pen during these warm days. Dick depends on his deep voice & commanding presence to train R, but if the clicker training continues to go well, who knows?

My book: When Men Move to the Basement is going well. Phyllis Lavinder gave me a nice check Sunday from her sales at From the Heart in Rocky Mount. On Saturday, January 27th, Ibby Greer will hold a reading for me at her new/former location of The Blue Lady Bookshop, time to be established. And sometime after the first of the year, I'll be reading to a group of Smith Mountain Lake residents at P.D. & Mittie Hambrick's home.

Bruce Rae, who illustrated my book, will be in attendance as well, hopefully at both readings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home