On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Changing perspective...

Ah, nice sunny weather. Temps in the low 70's predicted, even higher tomorrow. Sunny days lift my spirits.

I've decided to pare down my very active life. Have resigned from boards, and since I can no longer drive at night, even church committee meetings must go on without my participation. What a relief!

Now, I've always been a very cautious person. Do I buy this or wait until it goes down in price?

For some time now, I've been pondering purchasing a Kindle. I like to read in bed at night, and books get really heavy to hold and read. I would consider purchasing an actual book, and then wonder if it might be better to get it for $9.99 as a download, or not. Recently, a Dr. Wayne Dyer book is one I want. I met Dr. Dyer eons ago in California...in fact, I sortof had a date with him, during a seminar he gave at a university. (Hmmm...that may call for a blog all by itself!).

So I'm exploring the Kindle, and learn that: (1) it has gone down in price twice, (2) Barnes & Noble is coming out with their own version soon, and (3) other companies are planning to come out with their versions. My cautious self was saying: Oh, just wait, maybe by Christmas or shortly thereafter, you can get a Reader/Kindle for much less than the $259 it is priced at today on Amazon.

But NO!...heck, who knows what will happen in the next few months? Not I. Bite the bullet, spend the money, call it a Christmas present to myself. Yep, I ordered the Kindle.

I can enlarge the text. It is back-lighted for reading at night in bed. It is extremely light. I read through the reviews...it'll get here to me before the week is up. Free shipping.

Merry Christmas!

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky Mushko said...

As soon as you've used it, post a review on your blog.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Marion said...

Good thinking, Becky. They sent it out today; should arrive very soon.

One application: I can have it read aloud to me! Say I start a book and don't want to put it down to start supper, but must.

So I switch to "read to me" (or whatever they call it) and there we go!

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home