On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Realization

It dawned on me that one of my fears has been worrying about ending up like my younger brother. He is much like the Collyer brothers; he wanders through corridors between huge stacks of newspapers, invites all his friends over, having them bring food, for big outdoor feasts. No planning. Just food. Never did realize until now that hiding the facts of any work he did, usually part-time and not very often, would result in a miniscule Social Security payment when he turned 65.

So I need not worry any more. I was careful to work full time (and sometimes part-time on top of that) in order to raise 3 kids alone after a divorce. I wasn't that neat and tidy...see my previous blog!...but was fortunate enough to marry a man who likes things put where they should be. He never nags, but the neatness rubbed off on me.

Newspapers are thrown out as soon as they are read. Books? I have several ceiling-high bookshelves and plan to purge some to donate to the library. I'll keep my shelves of author-signed books. My kids and grandkids can put them on eBay if they wish after I'm gone.

I'm thinking seriously about getting one of the new Kindles just because it would be so easy to read in bed rather than a heavy book.

Meanwhile, brother-mine, I know you are happy with your routine just as I am delighted with mine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home