On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Lake Writers and the Collyer Brothers book

I expected some of the older members of Lake Writers to identify with the Collyer Brothers book, but it was a much younger member who was intrigued, and who had read excerpts from the book. (She, as I, loved Doctorow as a writer of course.)

It's funny but not unexpected that I, at the age of 10, was one of those folks mystified by the discovery of the two brothers, both dead in the house and buried under tons of stacked newspapers, through which they had created tunnels to get through all the tons of items the one brother had hoarded.

Doctorow of course had to imagine conversations between the brothers, so he is careful to tell the reader that this is a novel, a work of fiction. Incredible...

If you are intrigued, Google 'Collyer Brothers' and you will find pictures of the exterior and interior of the house when the police came in to find out what had happened to the brothers.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I am also intriqued by that story. I saw the review in the paper. That Jackie Kennedy story interests me too. I taped it but haven't watched it yet. The one where her old aunt I think it was, and the daughter, lived like eccentric recluses in their mansion in the Hamptons. Why are stories like this so interesting?

8:13 PM  
Blogger Marion said...

City Girl: I think we are intrigued that people actually live that way. First it is impulsive, then it becomes compulsive and much like a mental illness. I've watched some of those Clean House shows and am appalled at how some people live. I was not very organized but married Mr. Clean, so I'm much better now!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home