On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Thursday, November 12, 2009

But I can't swim!

Wow, did we ever get heavy rain and more heavy rain yesterday and all night long.

We woke up this morning to see the Blackwater River at least 4 feet over its banks below us. Thank heavens we built up on the stone cliff side where the water could not reach us. Our neighbors, closer to the river than us, perching their log home on stilt-like framing, had water coming under their doors but fortunately not enough to damage the interior.

Schools closed and low-lying areas braced for flooding. Since we've had wet weather for some time now, the current storm water just rolled off the surface and pooled.

We also lost power for a few hours during the day, but it is back on now. I had dragged out the candles just in case.

Hubby has a barbershopper concert over in Lynchburg tonight; I'm planning to attend the closer performance tomorrow night at Moneta. Now that the power is back, I can relax and indulge in my Thursday night ritual...Grey's Anatomy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home