On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Last Night, Just What I Needed

Last night, the Marines celebrated their birthday, with the Marine Corps Ball. First one they have held in this area; last year, 18 former Marines showed up to plan for last night's event. There must have been 60 or more people there last night, including the oldest Marine at 82, and the youngest, at 19.

Dick, as a VietNam veteran, two tours as a helicopter door gunner, was one of the fellows celebrated and congratulated. With Veterans' Day today, and all that is going on in the world, it felt good to recognize the men who, when they actually came home from the battle, were treated very, very badly.

We laughed and visited and sang the Marine Corps hymn together, but there were many serious moments throughout the evening.

I felt safe. Does that make sense? It was a dark night with heavy rain, yet I felt very protected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home