On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Whether the weather...

What a day today! (Sunday) When we left for church, it was sunny and balmy. I didn't need a coat, just wearing a light long-sleeved 'shirt' over a silver turtleneck with black pants. Since Praise Choir practices early, I usually can get a nice close parking spot, and I did.

We practiced, then went to Adult Sunday School, then our service at 11, which continued until nearly 12:30 since we had so much music today. When we stepped out from the choir door, WHAM! we encountered strong frigid winds that immediately chilled us through. Such an abrupt turnaround caused everyone to bend over against the wind, clutching kids and purses, hats and caps.

When we got home, I got on the phone with my daughter Cathie, up at the very top of Maine. I'd heard they were about to get a major blizzard, and was assured to learn there was plenty of wood for the woodstove, and they'd spent the morning getting the family cars all set up. Up there, cars sprout plug-ins used to charge up a block heater, so you need several outlets for them. Sure enough, Cathie said she'd gotten up in the middle of the night to put more wood in the stove, and the temperature was -25.

Another location in the county had -40 as an actual temperature, not including wind-chill.

As we talked, Cathie said they were hunkering down as the approaching blizzard was forecast to leave 20-24 inches of snow on top of the 6-8 they got yesterday. I'm guessing the university she attends, and my grandaughter's high school, will be closed tomorrow. Which hardly ever happens; they're pretty used to snow and ice up there.

They will certainly have a white Christmas. Cathie said she already opened the presents we sent, found the double-DVD of MaMa Mia, watched it and sang right along. They plan to watch it again on Christmas Day, and at New Year's when grandson Jessie and his fiancee' Jessica drive up.

The DVD went on sale on the 16th of December...my hairdresser, Eric, said he planned to be at WalMart's front door just before midnight on the 15th so he could get his copy and copies for his friends since it is a limited release. I wasn't worried; Rocky Mount is such a small town that I figured I could get two copies on the 16th, and I did. It's like a party in a box!

I started with the weather, and now will add that we're lighting a fire in the fireplace. Time to snuggle down, even if we don't have any snow on the ground. Yet.

4 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

I spoke with Shannon's aunt in Montana yesterday. It's 20 BELOW up there, and they have tons of snow. I wish we'd at least get a flurry or two.

2:17 PM  
Blogger colleen said...

The cold woke me up and I said to Joe, "I feel like we're sleeping outside."

9:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So, I wonder, did you get your snow?

I hope you're having a wonderful and blessed Christmas, Marion!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Marion said...

No snow for us this Christmas, but it was bitter cold and windy. Daughter Cathie up in Maine got 2-3 feet of snow over two days. Son Mike in Montana got enough snow for his two boys to enjoy.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home